Beadreaming on Etsy

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Mosaics 101


I wanted to take a mosaic class for quite some time now and finally enrolled in a class. In the first class I made a trivet to get familiar with the tools and the materials. First, I drew the design (a fish) onto a 6 inch cardboard square. Then I laid down the tiny mosaics and cut a few of them to fit into shape.

I found a few glass shards amongst the remnants and thought they’d make perfect fins and fish lips. I also found a glass ball that I used for the eye. Once the design was complete, I transferred the mosaics into place ( a 6 inch ceramic tile) and ‘glued them’ using thin set. The instructor mixed the thin set for us and placed it on the surface (ceramic tile) so all I had to do is transfer the moisaic pieces in small sections at a time.

More to come next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment